Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chased by Cows and Other Joys of our New Life


We are such suburbanites and we recently moved to a more rural area. I think I'm a country girl at heart, as I soak up the experiences of living in a small town. A few things that have made me grin during the first few months here:

*Going on a walk and learning that waving at each person who drives past is the rule
*I'm learning the names of the women who work at the check-outs at the grocery store
*I'm on a first-name basis with the owner of the local BBQ restaurant
*I can tell you where to buy the best home-made pies
*I now know how to hose-down and brush a horse

The first month we moved here, I met a dear friend who has worked with horses her whole life. I was always the suburban girl who hung horse posters and calendars in her room, but never had any real-life experience with the beautiful creatures. I've learned so much from Jess and her family and have loved being around them on their ranch. They all wear boots because they work all day in them, not just because they look good, their goat likes to hang out on the porch, They go fishing instead of watching TV, and they patiently train and care for their horses. It's a life I've never been exposed to before---I. Love. It.

Today my girls and I went to visit them again. Jess wanted to take us to a further part of the property, so we loaded in their van, her daughter opened the gate, and we drove across the pasture. We turned and looked out the back window of the van to see 5 cows running and chasing the van. What joy to hear my daughters' laughter as they leaned over their seats and watched the small herd keeping close to the vehicle. We stopped at a dusty riding arena, where the kids got out and had it all to themselves. They ran in circles, whooping and hollering, while my friend and I sat on a barrel that had been laid on its side and talked.....I love, love, love the simple pleasures of this new life. Perhaps in time I'll own a pair of boots myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment